[NOTE] Submission for the BES-SEC Design Award has closed.
The design competition is jointly organised by the Biomedical Engineering Society (Singapore) (BES) and the Society of Engineers for the Community (SEC).
Theme of Competition
The focus of the competition is on the design of a low-cost medical device to improve healthcare in resource-scarce communities.
- All team members must be bona-fide students as of 1st April, 2016.
- The projects must have been carried out in the students’ institutions
- Number of members per team can be up to 5.
All valid submissions will be reviewed by a judging committee. Twelve (12) submissions will be shortlisted for the “BES-SEC Design Award 2016”.
All shortlisted submissions of the “BES-SEC Design Award 2016” are required to present and demonstrate their design during the ICBME conference in December 2016. Thus it is mandatory that all shortlisted teams (or their respective representatives) must register and attend the ICBME conference, failing which will result in the team being disqualified from the competition.
The following cash prizes will be awarded to the 6 finalists:
|1st Prize||: SGD 1,500|
|2nd Prize||: SGD 1,000|
|3rd Prize||: SGD 800|
|3 x Merit Prizes||: SGD 500 each|
Each cash prize will be accompanied by an official award certificate.
All submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each submission should consist of:
- (Mandatory) A pdf document with a maximum of 3,000 words and no more than 10 illustrations or figures.
- (Optional) A video (via a download link), not exceeding 5 minutes to demonstrate the working of the prototype.
1st June 2016 : Design submission opens
The participating designs will be judged by according the following four criteria:
- Potential benefit(s) to the healthcare of resource-scarce communities
- Low cost and ease of deployment
- Viability of the design and potential to reach the market